Home arrow Carl Schurz Park
 
 
Main Menu
Carl Schurz
Carl Schurz Park
Links
Login Form





Lost Password?
CSP History PDF Print E-mail

 Carl Schurz Park History

 

On the 29th day of December, 1934, the "Zentral Verband Deutsch-Staemmiger Vereine" incorporated as the "Federation of German-American Societies of Wisconsin" -- to "unite all organizations and persons of German parentage that are not of a political or religious in nature; to preserve and promote german cultural interests, language, papers, literature, customs, traditions, art and music. Encourage teaching of German, wider acquaintance and cooperation: and assure at least one large scale demonstration every year to emphasize these aims and unity."
 
The incorporation of the "Carl Schurz Memorial Foundation" of Philadelphia, on the 12th day of June, 1930, to "honor the memory of Carl Schurz, eminent statesman, soldier and man of letters, cultivate and promote closer relations between citizens of German descent and between the United States and Germany, by interchange of scholars, lecturers, artists" etc., had given an impetus to the idea of uniting on a larger scale and broader statewide field.
 
When the society that had operated the Recreation grounds at Grafton, Wisconsin, known as "Camp Hindenburg" disbanded, it became available to others.  On March 11th, 1939, Delegate Paul Dengel made a motion at the monthly meeting of the Federation, to rent the camp for $400.00 for 1939, which carried unanimously.  A camp committee was appointed, which made arrangements for and announced the opening of the camp on July 13th, and fixed the admission of children vacationing at 50 cents per day, children of members not able to pay this fee to be admitted without charge.  125 children were admitted.  Camp closed for the winter on October 31.
 
Plans were under way to purchase Grafton Park, there were however many obstacles to overcome. After much discussion and many meetings the decision was made to go ahead.  In August of 1944 a conference was held with the owners of the Grafton site but no details are recorded.  On November 17th, it was reported that a special meeting would be held regarding the purchase of the park.
 
August 17th, 1945 it was reported that there was a meeting with the Droegkamps (the owners of the Grafton site).  Other sites were under consideration.  Thereupon Beyer stated that someone had informed him that an old resort and tavern near Moose Lake was for sale and he had informed the Committee.  Upon which  two members visited and inspected the place.  Paul Grobecker stated that there was a three story house, in fairly good condition, on 20 acres of land with 500 foot of lake frontage.  Albert Fais moved that a vote be taken on the purchase.  Reiss stated that $600 had already been paid, and asks if anybody wanted his money back, that now is the time to say so.  A Committee Trust Fund would meet.  On September 14th, at the Committee Trust Fund meeting, Paul Edderegger, of the Trust Fund Committee, moved that the place at Moose Lake, in the Town of Merton, Waukesha County, be purchased for $17,000.  Albert Fais, of the Trust Fund Committee, seconds the motion and the motion is carried.  Otto Reiss announced that the down payment would be made the next day [September 15th, 1945]. Reiss reported to the delegates that the property at Moose Lake had been purchased with the Trust Funds and asked that they approve the purchase.  Pickel made a motion to this effect and the motion carried on October 19th.  The suggestion was then made to organize a "Co-Operative", also to change the constitution, to be approved by the executive committee and the Attorney.  On November 16th, the Committee reported that the purchase of the resort had been completed. 
May 30th, 1946 the Carl Schurz Memorial Park opened on Moose Lake, in Stone Bank, Wisconsin.

 
< Prev